The Library of Liz

A spot for Liz's daily occurences and random thoughts.

Name:
Location: Salt Lake City &/or Pleasant Grove, Utah, United States

I'm a young student at the University of Utah who can't wait for good weather and at least one stress-free week (is there such a thing?).

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Summer Reading!
oh, wait . . .
Summer Reading?

So, I've been making a list all year of books I'd like to read "when I have time". This has become my "summer reading list" and it is one of the reasons I so looked forward to the end of the school year. Now, summer has officially arrived and I am kinda depressed. *sigh* I had thought that I could work with the small Pleasant Grove City Library, though I'd prefer to have a greater choice of books at a library more likely to have items on my list, but now . . . I went to the library this morning to find a note on the door "The Library is Closed due to Council Internet Decision". What's that supposed to mean? The library, however pathetic, still offered a haven of hours upon hours of reading material to satisfy my inner book worm. There I stood, just outside my small literary sanctum and I was puzzled, depressed, and angry. I won't go on a huge rant--I know how people feel about those things--but I will say this: Why do I have to live in a county without a county based library system? Why oh why oh why oh why? I thought of all the libraries within a half hour of where I stood--some with a greater reading selection. Orem, Provo, American Fork, even Lehi . . . they couldn't all be closed. Yet, they might as well be closed to me. Permanently. Unless I have nearly $100 to spare each year, I can't go to any one of those libraries. Memberships at all of the libraries in Utah County would probably cost around $350 a year. Compared to the $0 cost of other counties (say, Salt Lake or Davis, for example), that's a fortune. So, I feel a bit sad and lost and frustrated. Whatever will I do without my summer reading? What good is the list without the books? Now I have vivid visions of returning to the U of U in August as the worst-read English major there. Sure, there are a few books here at home I have yet to read . . . but I can only handle so much Dean Koontz and assorted other suspense/mystery/&c. authors and I've already hit my limit for the month. And the other books I haven't read tend to be either a) not really of interest to me, or b) short, mindless YA fiction/fantasy reads that would serve better as reading appetizers than as the main course. So, forgive me my *sigh* and do try to understand why I might be stir crazy in a few days. I'm just not the sort of person who can make it without books!

4 Comments:

Blogger feywriter said...

I've been going nuts without a book to read, but as I do live in Salt Lake county, I will get off my butt and go find the closest library. How long is the PG library going to be closed? That is awful! I understand your plight. *hugs*

5/11/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you've read all the books I have... but there may be some (other than my new suspense author... which I know you've hit your limit on ;) ) on my shelf! Give me a ring and remind me this evening and I'll email you my list of books and you can see if there's anything you want to borrow. The library isn't permanently closed right????

5/11/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We actually do have some good classics at home that you have probably not read---just browse the shelves a little more closely...Dickinson, etc...have you really read all of the Shakespeare plays?

5/24/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Liz,

Give me a list and i'll check and see if they have the books up here in our little library. Maybe on a Friday your mom and you could come up and I could go over there with you.

Plus I have a lot of books at home on a lot of different subjects. Send me a list and I'll see what I can do
Love ya
Aunt Karen

6/12/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home