The Library of Liz

A spot for Liz's daily occurences and random thoughts.

Name:
Location: Salt Lake City &/or Pleasant Grove, Utah, United States

I'm a young student at the University of Utah who can't wait for good weather and at least one stress-free week (is there such a thing?).

Monday, January 08, 2007

Housemates

I live with some interesting people. Very interesting, actually. Two of the most intriguing are Tim and Yang. They are roommates and WoW fans (along with some other computer games I am equally unfamiliar with). Yang is a philosophy major and Tim is a physics major who likes to argue (sometimes for both points of an issue). When you get the two of them together, it makes for interesting conversation.

For example, this morning as I was frying an egg, Tim was cooking rice in the microwave and Yang was putting off going to class, they began to discuss breakfast. When I say this, I do not mean that they talked about what they liked to eat for breakfast, how often they skipped breakfast, &c. Rather, they began to question the origins of breakfast. By the time Yang brought up the point that hunters probably ate something before heading out to kill gazelle with their atlatls, that something probably qualifying as breakfast and Tim started to question the definition of "breakfast", I had given up on the conversation, deciding it was a typical "Tim-Yang" dialogue and, thus, didn't require my attention.


Since these two are in my think tank, their particular styles of thought make for very interesting debates on the walk back to our house after class. These debates please our professors, who catch only bits of our discussion as we leave, because they love to see us discuss. Since it is impossible (or nigh unto) to come to any sort of conclusion with Tim and Yang, however, I believe George and Sally are only pleased because they do only catch bits of what we say. Well, at least I get some debate practice whenever I run into them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nikki said...

That sounds so fun! I love those type of discussions. Sometimes I start thinking about things and can't stop.

1/08/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home